Learn or refresh your memory of the specific terms and notions used when playing slot machines. Check the meaning of these terms in our termbase.
- 3-Reel – A three-reel slot machine. These usually come with three reels and three lines.
- 5-Reel – A five-reel slot machine. These are usually video slot machines with 3 or 4 lines.
- All Ways – A slot machine with a large number of winning lines, which pays out wins from both directions, i.e., both from left to right and from right to left.
- Autospin – A function which allows players to set a number of spins to be made, without requiring him/her to manually spin each round separately.
- AWP (Amusement With Prizes) – Classical old-time slot machines with fruit symbols.
- Bet – Determines the amount of money that the player bet on one spin of the slot machine.
- Bonus Round – A special function which allows players to win money above the scope of their classical winning spin. These usually come in the form of free spins or bonus cash.
- Branded Slots – Slot machines with a license on a specific topic such as a movie, TV show or a famous person.
- Cascading Reels – A function in some slot machines which replaces symbols in the winning combination by other symbols. This allows the creation of new winning combination in sequence, i.e., as a cascade within a single spin.
- Classic (Classic slots) – Classic slot machines, most often with three reels and only few winning lines, without bonuses and other special functions.
- Coin Size – The value of the current bet.
- Coins – The player’s coins.
- Cold Slot – A slang term for slot machines which did not pay out any win (or only small wins) recently.
- Drops – A function of certain online slot machines, where instead of spinning reels symbols drop directly into the respective lines.
- Feature – A special property of a given slot machine, such as bonus rounds.
- Freeplay / Free-to-play – Casinos allow players to try out slot machines free of charge and familiarize themselves with how they work. Of course, wins from freeplay games are not paid out.
- Free Spins – A free spin. A form of bonus you obtain from a certain combination of symbols.
- Fruit Machine – Popular, classical slot machines with fruit symbols.
- Gamble – A function which allows you to potentially double your win in a single round.
- Hot Slot – A slang name for slot machines which often pay out wins or paid out a large win. Their current RTP (over the past hour, day) significantly exceeds the average.
- Icons – Symbols and images on slot machine reels.
- Jackpot – The highest possible win in a slot machine. It can either be fixed or gradually grow as games are played until someone wins the jackpot.
- Lines – The winning lines of a slot machine.
- Maximum Bet – Modern slot machines have a Max Bet button which will immediately set your bet to the maximum allowed value.
- Multi-line – Today this is the standard. It refers to slot machines with more than one winning line.
- Multi-way – A slot machine which offers several ways to obtain a winning combination.
- Multiplier – A special bonus function which can multiply your win by a fixed number.
- Nudge – A special bonus which allows players to “nudge” the reels up or down.
- One-armed Bandit – A legendary slot machine; its reels are spun via a lever located on the side of the machine.
- Online Slot – A slot machine that you can play online.
- Payline – A winning line consisting of symbols which guarantee a certain win.
- Payout – The amount of money paid by the slot machine after getting a payline.
- Paytable – A table listing the rules, bonuses and wins for individual winning combinations.
- Penny Slots – A slang term for slot machines which allow very low bets.
- Pick Me – A bonus round where a player chooses one out of several symbols, where each symbol represents a certain value or additional bonus.
- Progressive Jackpot – a jackpot which gradually grows. The slot machine adds a certain amount of money into the jackpot from each bet. The jackpot can either be local or shared between several slot machines in a network.
(this termbase is regularly updated and expanded, so feel free to come back in the future)